When should you engage with a Retail Operations Consultant?
Sometimes you need a little help to make some positive changes
In successful retailing, it is essential to have effective and efficient retail operations. It is necessary, at times, to seek outside consultants in order to ensure the successful delivery of a product or service to customers at the final retail location. Retail Operations Consultants are able to help support clients with extensive retail operational experience, knowledge, and skill sets. But why would I want to work with a consultant?
Consultants can work with your retail organization to help develop the following:
- Fundamentals: The fundamentals are the first basic steps taken toward successful retailing. These steps include:
- Team Building / Developing – This step is important to get your organization running as a successful unit. Developing a team that is positive, dedicated, and educated on tasks is essential in having an end result that flourishes.
- Location Selection – Retail Operations Consultants can help to choose a location that works for your individual business. It is important, at times, to get an outsiders perspective. Location selection is an essential fundamental step and having an expert weigh in is sometimes exactly what is necessary.
- Presentation – Especially in a retail setting, presentation is key. Consultants can help to make sure that you are setting an appropriate presentation for your clients and customers. This includes: the retail format, utilizing space management, addressing stock issues, and focusing on visual presentation.
- Inventory Management – Helping manage inventory issues is an important component of retail operations consulting. With plans, software, and programs – consultants can work to organize inventory management in a new way.
- Customer Engagement – As a retail business, you are well aware of how important customer engagement can be. Consultants offer fresh approaches to customer engagement and new plans for maintaining those connections. Consultants can also offer expertise on the degree of selling needed and offer product or service knowledge where necessary.
- Technology – From running a successful website to staying up to date with social media to introducing software programs that can help your organization run more smoothly, consultants may offer a more thorough and understandable technology approach. When correctly applied, technology can dramatically improve interactivity and customer engagement.
Using a retail operations consultant can be extremely beneficial in helping your business to thrive. Here at J&S, we do just that. Recently, we researched, evaluated, recommended and selected a new point-of-sale application for a busy retail establishment. We achieved advanced certification and performed user and technical training during the application implementation.
We also, helped a niche-market pet goods store completely overhaul their retail operations. We started by evaluating the store’s existing business environment via a SWOT analysis, including business owner interviews and industry research. We then developed specific business and marketing plans, making significant recommendations for change. We subsequently managed all aspects of the change process, from new location selection to information technology, organizational structure and staff, store layout and merchandising, and traditional and internet marketing. As a result of our efforts, toot traffic has skyrocketed, from 20 people a year to 200 people a day, and from $10,000 yearly sales to over $20,000 per month! Following the successful re-open of the store, we continue to manage the business’ internet presence and marketing strategy.
Our successes translate into your future success. We would love to help you make the right retail strategy decisions that will save you both time and money.
What things would you like to know more about before engaging with a Retail Business Consultant? Do you think technology could help you reach or retain new customers? What social media platforms are you currently working with?
blog comments powered by